Tuesday, August 7, 2012

22, bottles of karkadeh on the wall

We love telling stories. Throughout all the ages, human beings have told their histories and truths through parables and fables. In countless ways, movies have been, without a doubt, the century's most influential art form. Its artists told stories across national boundaries, in as many languages, genres and philosophies as one can imagine. Despite being increasingly offered a Hollywood Blockbuster diet these days, in which sensation not story is king, and as a generation being with so little grasp of where we've come from and so few narratives of what's possible, it's important to remember what power pictures in motion hold.

They've gotten me to experience every colour of the emotional spectrum, had me entertained, and jump-started much deeper thoughts about a myriad of topics. They've shaped memories and worldviews. They've motivated and inspired action. True or fiction, they have, and are, telling our stories.


It only makes sense to include a celebration of the movies that have influenced me in more ways than I could list in this little countdown to a quarter-century of mine.

Here's a few reasons from the top of my head for why I love them.

Because of those times when I was scared to sleep lest the zombies/vampires/whatever monsters come for me. (sorry for breaking the rules, mom)
Because of popcorn in a cardboard box or large bowl.
Because of all those moments when we laughed, screamed, "aww"ed, or teared up together.
Because "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious".
Because I knew Matilda and Major Payne word for word.

Because of all the Disney classics that have taught me priceless values.
Because Forrest Gump ran.
Because of how we cheered when Rocky Balboa knocked Apollo Creed down in the first round.
Because Lord of the Rings tells a million more stories apart from its own.
Because Wall-E and Up spoke volumes without dialogue.

Because it's dangerous to go solo, and one must take a Wookiee along.
Because the power of Christ compels you!
Because I'M AS MAD AS HELL, AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE THIS ANYMORE!
Because leave the gun, take the cannoli.
Because I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough wiper. I fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries. I blow my nose at you, so-called "Arthur King," you and all your silly English K-nig-hts.

Because Earth got made.
Because of the first time you watch Fight Club.
Because of the Invention of Lying.
Because of all the eargasmic scores.
Because of how beautifully a big portion of our heritage, traditions and humor (and sense!) are preserved in old black & white Arabic films.

بيكوز بص شوف مين
بيكوز تحية كاريوكا
بيكوز الحلو فى البرانده شاور لي وبص لي
بيكوز محمد قنديل و هو بيغني يا حلو صبح يا حلو طل
بيكوز اسماعيل ياسين و فؤاد المهندس و أحمد رمزي و أحمد مظهر و رشدي أباظة و فريد شوقي و عبد السلام النابلسي و سعاد حسني و نللي و شادية و شويكار و ماري منيب و هند رستم
Post a Comment