Sunday, November 1, 2009

Oh sweet, sweet graduation!

5 years of hard work, staying up way too many nights and slaving away in the GUC mill of torment.
5 years of friendships made, lost, kept and lessons well learned.
5 years of dreaming, aspiring, believing and striving.

5 whole years, it's been. Yoda, I've become.

It's been one hell of a ride! And today was the grand finale. The crowning victory over everything we've been through these past years.

And words quite elude me, describing how I really feel right now. You can't sum up this whole period of time with everything it held in a paragraph or blog post. Or maybe it's just because I'm not eloquent enough. But I could say this:

THANK GOD WE GOT OUT WITH OUR SANITY INTACT! .. Or maybe not.

No, but seriously...

Mom, dad, I would've never been where I am right now without you.
Dad, you've let me go my own way even though you wanted me to become a dentist like the future of mankind depended on it. You stood by my decisions, even the ones you weren't necessarily fond of, and have always been ever so generous.

Mom, your very first words when I had trouble choosing where to go, "spread your wings and FLY!", have made me go after just that.. you've always supported me no matter what, let me make my own mistakes and been the warmest, most caring safe place I could have ever wished for.

I genuinely appreciate all the sacrifices both of you have made for me, that you always wanted the best for me, all the patience it took on your part, and your mere presence in my life.

I love you with all my heart.


My dearest friends, my trusty shoulders of comfort, my shining beams of light in a sometimes dark, cold world (a tad overkill?), I consider myself EXTREMELY fortunate to have met and have had the chance to get to know incredibly wonderful people as you.

It's because of you that I looked forward to going to the university everyday despite the long, grueling hours we had to spend there. How could I not? You made life so exciting!

We've created activities that will continue growing and evolving long after our class graduation. Who of us could forget how GCBT started? How a bunch of 'kids' managed to bring it all together and accomplish what many thought wasn't possible? I'm more proud of what we've begun each passing year!

We stood together for and against a shipload of things during these years. We laughed, we cried... Sometimes both at the same time. Including curse words. And object throwing. And minor injuries.

We've argued, and OH MAN have we argued! We've argued our tushies off over the years!! But never cared less for each other. Not one tiny bit.

Your friendships have coloured my life. And to some extent, I believe that I am who I am now because of you. Each and every one of you who has left even the smallest of impressions on me. I will forever carry you in my heart.

And while we're on the subject, Moblerone and Pesty, I wish you were here today. It's not quite the same without you...

Aagh, I have a flood of memories I can't contain. My train of thought is all over the place. And it seems like it has cloned itself to cover even more terrain. The presence of almost EVERYONE at the same place (not any place too, but at our GUC) all at once was, and still is, pretty overwhelming!

It rained a little. But I guess that was just the Hagenberg curse that came along.

Happy, excited and proud faces all over the place. Even noodle the cat's. He's not quite the "noodle" he used to be though.

Loads of camera flashes.

An entrance march soundtrack that sounded like a Spanish guy was going to jump out somewhere with a rose in his mouth and do the Flamenco.

My heels sinking in the soft grass bed with almost every step.

Nesma getting us jumping all around, playing on her xylophone.

Dad squishing me. Tears in mom's eyes. Taher being exceedingly sweet.

Mo7sen being there even though his brother's engagement was on the same day.

Prof. Slim's speech! What's better than working hard? - Working smart. What's better than dreaming? - Imagineering! What's better than having a vision? - Having a cause. And what's better than a long speech? - A SHORT ONE! Hehe..

Hearing your name called, your friends roaring with cheers and receiving THE certificate, thankfully without tripping infront of tens of thousands of people.

On stage with my best friends by my side, feeling like I could take over the world.

Bärenhunger!

Graduation gifts! ^_^

An abundant amount of pictures. Here's a few from the rehearsal and ceremony:

Belia, childhood bff, and I

THE TRIPLET!

CHOCOS!

MO7SEN! Bff since school =)

Receiving the certificate, pictured with Ashraf Mansour, GUC president.

Right after the pledge... YAAAAYY!
More YAAAYY! with school friends.

Prof. Slim Abdennadher

2 am *lunch* at Burger King.


........ and nostalgia.


*sigh*

This place has given and has taught me so much on so many levels. We're all very well prepared to take on whatever life might bring. And I intend to leave no stone unturned.

You know the saying that goes "If you live each day as if it was your last, someday you'll most certainly be right."?

Remembering this, is the most important tool we'll ever come across to help us make the big choices in life. Because almost everything - all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure - crumble in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important.

Find your calling and follow your heart. However cliché that might sound.
And when you do, tell me how. =p

I'll end this with one of my old favorite tracks. It's never been so suitable as it is now...

My friends, wear sunscreen... =)



Hugs and "batates vienna"s,
4-1099 ♥





Post a Comment