Thursday, July 24, 2008

Thurs AA : Not the Ninja Turtle

Michelangelo is one of my favorite artists of all time! Along with others I'll keep aside for mentioning on future Thursdays.

He's one of the most famous Italian Renaissance painters, sculptors, architects and poets. You could check him out and see a number of the masterpieces he did yourself.

The main interest here is THE art attack. One of the few things that took my breath away when I saw them. And I count myself extremely lucky to have had the chance to see this in real life at the Vatican.

The Sistine Chapel's ceiling.



Not concerned with the religiousness of the paintings as much as the intricate details that were drawn directly on the ceiling and perfected despite of everything.

But in case you want to know how the story goes anyway, this is supposedly it:



Along the central section of the ceiling, Michelangelo depicted nine scenes from the Book of Genesis, which you could read all about here.

Enjoy!
Post a Comment